5th Dimension Forum Forum Index
<  General Discussion  ~  Generation fuck you...
Forper
PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:33 pm  Reply with quote

I mean lots of things killed supreme in the past but the Odd future thing definately stomped on its grave. because it took it to a new level of mainstream recognition. I knew it was all even more over when I saw white fixie kids in Canberra wearing boxcaps.

âne
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:38 am  Reply with quote

really? who cares? OHHH just because everyone knows polo, lv, dior, lacoste, balenciaga, etc etc. it's not cool and if you down, you shouldn't like it? how insecure.

mainstream doesn't stop supreme from having a nice logo, dope ass fun randomly branded knickknacks, and great outerwear.

tshirts are shit now. but branding is still as strong as a motherfucker and will continue to have that "cool" factor.
âne
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:45 am  Reply with quote

in fact MLI...i accuse you of being a streetwear hipster.

"i was wearing bape and fucking jap models BEFORE it nigo had a grill. "
Forper
PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:11 am  Reply with quote

bapes experiment in becoming a mainstream luxury label didn't work out even with better quality maintenance, what makes you think Supreme is even trying to be a hi-end luxury label like the brands you mentioned? Its just a cash in on what it built up over its first decade, incomparible to the consistency, gradual growth and super hi end products that euro those labels have built up over centuries in some cases (Hermes).

âne
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:50 am  Reply with quote

very good point...i concede haha
Forper
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:54 pm  Reply with quote

When a brand stays small and stays consistent it can become like a goro's. Its just a fight against the lure of short term gain for the creators. Goro could have no doubt made a fuckload of money if he'd cashed in at any time in the last 20 years, if he'd upped production, supplied to hi end retailers around the world he woulda been a lot richer. But he obviously doesnt give a fuck about that, and his shit is that much cooler because of it. Sometimes I wonder if bape had stayed at 1 or 2 stores and product was more consistent and stayed true to the original feel of the brand, how many hardcore fans would still be lined up outside everyday, just like the line out side Goro's every day. But a good brand doesnt have to be small to be good, consistency and minimum trend hopping are more important I think. This is why brands like Porter still do well and why I respect it. Nike is huge of course but can still earn respect with staples if they're produced right. Too much trend hopping and diffusion killed jordan brand.. u see my point

Forper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:36 am  Reply with quote

random point but sometimes I think the people here are like art snobs. curating streetwear the same way art people can say one cezan is garbage but another is a key piece. I can't tell the difference the same way most people can't tell why a Jordan V is inherently more important and better than a Spizike or why original 501s are more desirable than 505s or why a crazy pig x a bathing ape gorilla ring has more worth than crazy pigs standard ones.

like for some reason there was this pharmaceuticals billionaire in Philadelphia who was just good at picking what was good and what was shit and with a relatively small budget managed to amass one of the most important art collections in the world. There was this show about it and to me his paintings don't look any better than the ones the snobs on the show were mocking at lesser galleries. To me you gotta try to be like this guy, amass your collection, make it fit in well together and make each piece count.

senshi
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 10:57 am  Reply with quote

Not much to add other then MLI, your last two posts were very on point, these kinda talks/threads are always what brings out the best of 5thD.

Forper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:03 am  Reply with quote

I guess I'm just saying what most on here already take for granted as obvious fact that doesn't really need saying, I'm just bored so posting mind streams..

stylistics
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:07 pm  Reply with quote

i'm kind of curious to see what everyone thinks about F.I.L. going online. the whole direct online shop seems to have sparked/solidified the end for brands like supreme and ape. the one difference i see with visvim is that although the availability may be there, the price-point still prices the mass market out of it. regardless, i see no good in it and wouldn't be surprised to see the brand get watered down and lose some of it's value. any thoughts?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Forper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:40 pm  Reply with quote

I was kinda interested how some of the brands Ane mentioned handle online and it looks like LV use it more as a complement to the brand than as a convenience store. You can view the catalogue online and call up for mail order but I think you could probably do that before online, like call up and get them to send you stuff. It's still a more personal experience than just an online store where you can just click and buy everything in the collection.

Having a full online store is a blatant cash in imo and dilutes a good brand, Visvim or not. It might bring it to new cashed up customers as long as the world keeps producing new rich people but it will lose the loyalty of maniacs which I believe have the potential to loyally and regularly buy a good product throughout their lifetime. Its grow fast vs go steady and slow. short term gain vs long term stability. everyones choosing fast term gain because no one knows what the fuck the futures gonna be like, people want to cash in while its good, get out of the business and have security for their family. Most people would do the same. Good thing there are still people like Goro who think long term.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:11 pm  Reply with quote

FIL online is not a full range. It's just spot items that are OUTSIDE of the regular FW range. And still you're not guaranteed to get the item. Product REQUEST form baby.

An interesting way to open themselves up to more purchases but maintaining a tightness to their ish.

Not too far from others like say NBHD which has webstore shit that falls outside of the seasonal ranges available at stores.

I was about to trigger the Kangaroo fuckers but then did the conversions.... and pussied out. Embarassed

Oh and to comment on stylistics seeing 'no good in it'. I disagree. I'm a consumer and I'm glad that I no longer have to go through proxies for some of their shit and never even knowing if I 'win' to buy the fuckin item anyway. So I see good.

FS: visvim + other rare shit
Rich
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:31 pm  Reply with quote

Though the pricing is significantly higher than Japanese retail when selecting outside of Japan (for obvious reasons of course) and subject to import tax upon receiving. Think I'll still take my gamble with using a proxy, as it works out cheaper in many instances and you also won't have to worry about customs fees. Unless you live in Singapore, where the limit is set pretty high at $400 (probably not high enough for a sizeable Visvim purchase Laughing ) but still pisses on the UK's £37 limit from a great height.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 5:33 pm  Reply with quote

oh yeah it'd be shipped to Singapore f'sure
sup ed. hahaha

FS: visvim + other rare shit
Forper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:21 pm  Reply with quote

Ok, sounds like Visvim have an exclusive approach to online like other hi end brands, could work out. the way bape and supreme did it definately diluted shit though obviously.

$400 is high? One of the few good things about modern Australia is the no duty limit is $1000 (roughly US$1050).