5th Dimension Forum Forum Index
<  General Discussion  ~  The 5th Film Thread
PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 7:25 pm  Reply with quote

^ I got duped by that flick... saw the Jane Campion name and thought sweet a new film from her... watching 20mins i knew something was up... hahaha very much a debut effort with many of the cliche let downs of a debut... she was the least interesting aspect of the film and unfortunately she was on teh screen all the time...

FS: visvim + other rare shit
Forper
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 4:31 am  Reply with quote

Pat Garrett & Billy The Kid: classic thats up there with Sergio Leone stuff for me.

Operation Enduring Freedom: America Fights Back. Great stuff actually narrated by Rummy himself, one of my personal heroes. Cool

Howard the Duck: Never get sick of this

First Option: This is like game Counterstrike on film. I hate that game but this actually had some decent action scenes, dry plot though, how can Beast Cops be so much better from the same director?

Pee Wee's Playhouse : Really getting into this. Remember it when I was a kid in America so nostalgia value but ties into one my biggest loves, American comedy/SNL from the late `80s to the early `90s, with Phil Hartman in a recurring role. This is how kids shows should still be. Fat jokes, craft segments that are deliberately lame ("I stuck these pencils in a potato and now its an animal, thats how to be creative") and getting kids to scream when they hear a certain word. also, ice cream soup, sexual inuendo and tons of wacked out stop motion. Mekka Lekka Hi-Mekka Hiney Ho!

Forper
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:12 am  Reply with quote

latest DVDs through my machine

a classic from the golden age of hollywood. did pekinpah make a bad movie?

brings me back to one of the first movies I ever remember seeing on US cable in the '80s.

natsukashiiiiii, hitomi is the afficianado's hamasaki ayumi. hamasaki ayumi is so overrated, every album sounds the same.

its worth it just for spots like budha burger tees, original ape generals logos not to mention the good tunes.

CC19
PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:46 pm  Reply with quote

Kill List - shares a lot of similarities with the director's previous film, Down Terrace: both subvert typically American genres with a very British kitchen sink sensibility and both ultimately descend into farce. Kill List's descent is certainly the more interesting and entertaining of the two but it is not without its problems. The film builds an effective mood helped both by an excellent score and the gradual teasing of what is to come. Whilst it undoubtedly needs to lead somewhere I'm unconvinced the ending is quite deserved. Yes, it is surprising (even with the little hints dotted throughout) but it slips into being comical rather than unsettling. Perhaps this is deliberate, the film has a strong streak of black humour, but you never quite follow the character's descent into madness which strips the film of its potency.

That said the final twenty minutes are brilliantly shot and edited and the central characters are well realised. The violence is swift and hard hitting and it was a novel look into a world that is often portrayed very differently on screen. Ultimately though it felt like a movie full of memorable moments but one that was not quite the sum of its parts.

I think what might be most infuriating for some is that the film builds in such a way that you are conditioned to expect answers yet that is far from what you get. It also doesn't help that any interpretations don't seem to stand up to close scrutiny
Forper
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 5:56 am  Reply with quote

act of valor - so bad ass and kicks the ass of the gay charlie sheen movie from the `90s I always hated. no inauthentic faggot all black ninja costumes to be seen, I love how much death the SWCC deals out on the first mission. not as much as the did on a real narco mission there in south america in the `90s though.

To the doubters none of what was depicted was unrealistic. The SEALs recently rescued US hostages in Somalia, 17 dead captors, 2 free hostages and no SEAL casualties. Some green berets in Nam raided an NVA POW camp, the POWs had been moved a day earlier but the green berets killed over 200 NVA and suffered 1 twisted ankle during the raid with no air support.

one thing that was weird though was how many Call of Duty camera angles there were.
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:24 pm  Reply with quote

You coulda deleted the fuckin 'character building' scenes tho... was getting a bit homo erotic there... hahaha

FS: visvim + other rare shit
Kicks79
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:42 am  Reply with quote

I just watched the Rum Diaries. What a piece of shit that was. They added all this useless shit that wasn't in the book the cock fighting, drug use, rolled two central characters into one and then changed the ending. Avoid.

Forper
PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:02 am  Reply with quote

watched my LD of Sonatine I brought back from Japan last night. Watched it on SBS as a kid but forgot how special it was.

But you know, if you know Kitano, every Kitano film is the same though, deadpan acting, everyone dies, hisaishi soundtrack and the main characters act like kids for a while.

Wouldn't have it any other way though. love those chinpira and yakuza types. to me they're like Japanese people that actually think for themselves and are pretty cool to me. even though I got into confrontations with some at times in place like Ueno if I was with a girl they considered pretty.

Sonatine has a great set of tits in it too. See it just for those imo

Dr JonboyG
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:20 am  Reply with quote

Sad
Forper
PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:42 am  Reply with quote

I can respect that