5th Dimension Forum Forum Index
<  General Discussion  ~  The 5th Film Thread
âne
PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:23 am  Reply with quote

midnight in paris- fun...better than woody's last movie

no strings attached- mila kunis. nuff said....well justin timberlake is hot too actually

captain america- i liked alot and was well balanced with heart and action. also very patriotic...AMERICA FUCK YEA! coulda done without the avengers set up on this one

shaolin- pretty good any lau movie.

last harry potter- given that i only watched the last two. it sucked. i don't get this magic shit and why that one hot witch wizard girl is banging the ugly redhead guy.

i watched "mr. nobody" tonight. that was fucking awesome with great visuals. i guess it's one of those "you should be high" or "think life is meaningless" type movies. but i would recommend if you're awake enough
CC19
PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 10:47 pm  Reply with quote

Super 8

A love letter to the Amblin films of the '80s it may be but it is crucially missing the one element that made those films so special: magic. J.J. Abrams is so caught up in getting the surface details right that he misses the bigger picture along the way. Yes, it looks beautiful, evoking the films I grew up with with great attention to details and set dressing. The cast, particularly the gang of children, are all very good and manage to be charismatic without the precociousness. Unfortunately, as good as the children are, and how natural their banter is, you never quite invest in them in the way you should. Perhaps the problem is that the two story strands never happily co-exist. It is clear that these are two separate stories clumsily stitched together. The coming of age, home-made movie story is full of warmth and nicely judged moments but it never quite goes deep enough. The budding romance is full of clichés and only really sold because of the sweetness of the actors involved. Likewise the strained relationship between the lead and his father feels rushes and undeveloped meaning the end lacks the desired pay-off. However, this human drama is still more successful than the undercooked and poorly integrated monster plot. Although the children have a logical connection to the events that lead to the alien being released in their town its presence is still kept at too great a distance for far too long. When it does eventually become more integral to the wider plot these threadbare connections just don't provide the emotional moment Abrams clearly strived for.

It is disappointing that the film didn't manage to live up to its early promise and gushing press reception. As always, Abrams delivers on the action and keeping it tightly paced but falls down on providing characters you genuinely care about or involving them in the plot enough for the events to have genuine peril. Slick action, flashy special effects and capturing the period is sadly not enough when the end result leaves you feeling unfulfilled.
Rich
PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:14 pm  Reply with quote

Fair Game - Not bad political drama with Sean Penn and Naomi Watts, don't expect much action, just men sitting around desks talking. Basically about Valerie Plame (Naomi Watts) and her position as a CIA agent, her investigation into possible WMDs in Iraq, and her identity being leaked to the public.

The Legend Is Born: Ip Man - Awful prequel and the guy who replaced Donnie Yen as Ip Man can't act for shit. The only saving grace is that this film shows off wing chun a lot more than the other two Ip Man films.

Your Highness - Another film I wish I hadn't bothered with. It only got funny when Natalie Portman's character was introduced a third of the way in, but even then it only became mildly amusing in places. Not Danny McBrides finest, and I'd go as far as saying it's worse than Land of the Lost.

Super - Absolutely loved it, a lot more darker and grittier than Kick-Ass. In some respects I felt it did a better job on the whole regular person turned vigilante theme. Oh and don't let Ellen Page put you off.

Hobo with a Shotgun - As you would expect over the top gore and violence, and in my opinion slightly better than Machete, but not a touch on the Grindhouse duo of films. Rutger Hauer does a good job of being a crazed vigilante - almost reminiscent of The Hitcher or Michael Douglas in Falling Down.

Forper
PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:27 am  Reply with quote

Johnny Be Good (1988) One of the worst movies I've seen in a long time. First and last time Bud Smith got to direct a movie. but It was worth the $4 I bought the DVD for just for vintage Uma in longjohns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:16 pm  Reply with quote

CC19 - I just watched Super 8... in total agreement. Mad homo. It was very much a JJ flick... starts of well... great set up... and then just gets rushed in the last 1/4... and turns into generic nonsensical popcorn crap. Very disappointing with the end.

FS: visvim + other rare shit
lexibylex
PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:22 pm  Reply with quote

just saw the movie heartbeats, i didnt like it at all, he reminds me of gus van sant and a little bit of wong kar wai
Rich
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:56 am  Reply with quote

Hereafter - One of those multi-threaded intertwining story film set in Paris, London and San Francisco, where they all eventually meet at the end. Matt Damon's "psychic" acting was a tad hokey and a little cringe inducing. Not sure whether it was purposely done like that so it was teetering on whether he actually was a psychic or not...

Reign of Assassins - Enjoyable sword fighting on wires film, similar to Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, but nowhere near as good. Worth a watch though if you do like those sort of films.

The Perfect Host - David Hyde Pierce was great in this, playing a unhinged, somewhat "Dexter-ish" psychopath. The last 10 minutes dramatically ruins the overall film, and I wish they hadn't bothered with the closing dialogue/scene. (3/5)

Adventureland - Teen romance, melancholy, set during the summer of the 1980s. Slow and amusing in places. Kristen Stewart can actually act in this, which is a bonus. Again the film was let down somewhat by the ending and felt tacked on. It should have been more brave and ended on the hill or at least his bus ride through New York...

Easy A - Worth watching for Emma Stone strutting around in corsets alone. Surprisingly a decent teen comedy of recent years. Has a "John Hughes" feel to it, of which is referenced a few times in the film itself.

Whatever Works - Not one of Woody Allen's best, I like Larry David, so naturally I was more forgiving when it came to this film. But at times I felt it was a tad self indulgent and that Larry David was in fact portraying Woody Allen sans the nervousness and the self hating qualities, and it was more of a biopic. However, there were some great dialogue which had me in stitches.

Priest - Not as bad as everyone has made it out to be. The film could've done with being a tad longer and fleshed out. Editing was pretty bad in places. It did seem like it was an extended "pilot" to a TV show though. Certainly not the worst film I've seen this year, overall not a bad popcorn flick if you like films like Ultra Violet, Daybreakers etc.

Forper
PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2011 8:15 am  Reply with quote

whatever works sounds like it might be worth a download for me

Rich
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 am  Reply with quote

Just to warn you it's dubbed as a romantic comedy and does have some liberal elements to it Wink

The Way Back - Decent adventure drama, about a group of prison escapees who escape Siberia and trek across to India. May not be wholly factually correct, but still very enjoyable for what it is.

Stake Land - Post apocalyptic vampire version of The Road. This isn't your usual 'sexy vampire' flick, due to it's dark and moody tone. Nick Damici who plays 'Mister' is very much of a Depp x Rouke character, takes a young 'boy' under his wing. The two adventure towards "Eden" which they both believe is a safe haven from vampires. On the way they're not only under threat by vampires, but religious nuts called "The Brotherhood" and cannibals.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:48 pm  Reply with quote

The Troll Hunter was a hoot. Totally shit.

FS: visvim + other rare shit
soundbomber
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 8:42 pm  Reply with quote

Limitless and Unknown were decent at best.
Rich
PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 9:38 pm  Reply with quote

Hanna - I was a tad slow to pick this one as I was awaiting a decent blu-ray rip of it Wink Great film and exceeded my expectations. Saoirse Ronan played a trained assassin well, almost like a teenage girl version of Bourne, and Bana was such a badderman in this. Loved the Chemical Bros soundtrack to boot. Definitely one of the best films from 2011 I've seen.

Forper
PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:49 am  Reply with quote

Rich wrote:
Just to warn you it's dubbed as a romantic comedy and does have some liberal elements to it Wink

if I refused to watch or listen to anything made my liberals then I'd have a pretty boring life. Just because something is entertaining doesn't mean I have to agree with its politics. Unless its preachy about it I don't really care.

SSBSTS
PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:08 pm  Reply with quote

anyone got a download link for beats, rhymes, and life? it only played in my city for a week and i was waiting for my GF to get back from rock the bells to go and we missed it.
CC19
PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 2:28 pm  Reply with quote

SSBSTS wrote:
anyone got a download link for beats, rhymes, and life? it only played in my city for a week and i was waiting for my GF to get back from rock the bells to go and we missed it.

http://www.filesonic.com/file/1577718424/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part1.rar
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1577722484/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part2.rar
http://www.filesonic.com/file/1577686764/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part3.rar

http://www.wupload.com/file/74628232/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part1.rar
http://www.wupload.com/file/74627240/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part2.rar
http://www.wupload.com/file/74627214/Beats.Rhymes-Life.The.Travels.Of.A.Tribe.Called.Quest-avaxhome.ws.part3.rar