5th Dimension Forum Forum Index
<  General Discussion  ~  The 5th Film Thread
Dr JonboyG
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:18 pm  Reply with quote

Oh, I understand I'm off on my own about Arizona, everyone tells me I should love it. I think I'm broken.
soundbomber
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:28 pm  Reply with quote

nice thread here. i agree no country was great, air tank nail gun device was sick! ha.

for me east asian cinema...anything by takashi miike and likes, akira kurosawa (ran, seven samurai, yojimbo), chan-wook park (old boy, lady vengeance), john woo...

and of course my favs. snatch, lock, stock and two smoking barrels and l4yer cak3 by guy ritchie and matthew vaughn.

and this is barely scratching the surface on my list, great cinematography is endless...
‚ne
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:40 pm  Reply with quote

sayword
PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:43 pm  Reply with quote

I'm sorry, no country sucked. If it wasn't so hyped maybe I could take it for what it was: Something that kinda made no sense, with a shitty ending. What I'm saying is that the movie felt empty more then anything (bad choice of words on the make no sense). But What can you say, the book was just "a book" from what I heard.

Cinematography was good though.
deepsix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:39 am  Reply with quote

seenmy wrote:
no country for old men was excellent .

yeah Coen brothers do Americana so well. No country was in that era close to when I lived there and it was mad nostalgic for me. Raising Arizona is still my favorite tho, followed by Lebowski.

Another movie thats pure Americana for me is Boogie Nights. If you haven`t seen it for any reason you should see that.

Been into `70s tough guy films a lot lately, far as badasses go Travis Bickle aint got nothin on Charlie Rane:

deepsix
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:41 am  Reply with quote

sayword wrote:
I'm sorry, no country sucked. If it wasn't so hyped maybe I could take it for what it was: Something that kinda made no sense, with a shitty ending. What I'm saying is that the movie felt empty more then anything (bad choice of words on the make no sense). But What can you say, the book was just "a book" from what I heard.

Cinematography was good though.

No country wasn`t about the ending, it was about the ride. I think you`re too young to appreciate it.
takashi
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:46 am  Reply with quote

no country was an existential film. nothing has any meaning, take it for what it is, but last year There Will Be Blood was the best imo.

for coen bros, miller's crossing is also good, but i agree, big lebowski is the best

was great.
deltron3030
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:43 am  Reply with quote

D6 and Takashi mentioned There Will Be Blood and Boogie Nights - P.T. Andersen. The guy's a fucking genius. Proof in the pudding being 'Magnolia' with one of the best film endings in history: RAINING FROGS hahaaha. Christ, even Cruise is good in it... and Quiz Kid Donny Smith playing 'Dreams' every time he pulls up in his car etc... loads of quirky, funny shit there. Love it.
lexibylex
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:14 am  Reply with quote

top 5 movies i seen or rewatch this week in no particular order.

1)the rules of the game by jean renoir

2)short cuts by robert altman

3)3 evil masters by ching-ku lu

4)the thin red line by terrence malick (never gets old)

5)the searchers by john ford.
lexibylex
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:19 am  Reply with quote

Link
Sir Charles Jr.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:41 am  Reply with quote

Is anime included in this category?

Link

Truely amazing...
‚ne
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:09 am  Reply with quote

^^^great anime... senshi just came, and insists that you get the manga cause it's a BAJILLION times better...blah blah blah

Link

yea...man up....
Sir Charles Jr.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:48 am  Reply with quote

Master wrote:
^^^great anime... senshi just came, and insists that you get the manga cause it's a BAJILLION times better...blah blah blah

Yeah, senshi is right.. I first learnt about the original story through the comic book(manga) too, and it's so much better...

Actually does that happen all the time when you're trying to bring a comic book story to motion? Akira(Katsuhiro Otomo), Nausicaš(Hayao Miyazaki), Ghost in the Shell(Shirow Masamune), Jin-Roh(Mamoru Oshii)... etc. are some pretty good examples.
MBC
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:20 am  Reply with quote

Once upon a time in America - Sergio leone...the ultimate gangster masterpiece spanning 40 years...

Once were Warriors - the most powerful independent I have ever watched. Jake the Mus should wear Tenderloin...

Empire of the sun - an epic drama of young innocent boy becoming a deep war torn hollow man in WW2.

Farewell my Concubine - learn Chinese 20th Century history in 3 hours...some scenes are so historically real its too scary.

The public Enemy - James Cagney the ultimate gangster actor...never again will you want to eat a grapefruit for breakfast. Ready yourself for the most powerful scene of American Cinematography with the song "I'm forever blowing bubbles"

Groundhogs day - who doesnt need to be inspired!?

...Laputa - Miyazaki H, because it was based on the area around my home and let me look up at the sky and dream...

seenmy
PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:51 am  Reply with quote

once were warriors fucking great call,I watched that so many times with my friend when we were in school,thats gone straight on my rental list